East Texas Lighthouse for the Blind – Plant Manager
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION: The Plant Manager is responsible for the overall day-to-day operation of all plant operations with overall responsibilities for production, maintenance, quality and other production-related activities. This position develops and manages an industrial management plan to improve operating performance and reduce waste, delays and costs for both production and maintenance operations in accordance with the organization’s policies and practices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
Following are accountabilities included but not limited to:
- Support and provide hands-on leadership for operations improvements, optimal production output, manufacturing cost reduction, lowering targeted material levels, and health and safety.
- Directly supervises plant management staff (1-3 employees); manufacturing area personnel (25-30) and maintenance area personnel (3-5) as indirect reports.
- Adequately staffs the plant management team with qualified and competent personnel and ensures training as required for an effective succession program.
- Effectively communicates any changes in schedules, production or procedures to employees.
- Communicate using data to focus plant resources on critical areas needing improvement.
- Analyze systems and procedures to determine the most effective and efficient best practice methods.
- Collect data and maintain reports and charts for various measurements including internal metrics, capital and expense projects and work performance measurements.
- Assist in preparation of the Annual Budget package for the adjustment of production standards, labor cost, expense sheets, packaging specs, Off Quality and Shrink & Scrap factors and update the Standard Guideline as needed.
- Develop Capacity analyses to maintain efficient manpower and equipment utilization.
- Support/develop the implementation of lean initiatives.
- Create work standards including work instructions, standard work sheets, flow diagrams, and value stream maps.
- Work with New Product Development Team to guarantee smooth product transition from concept to delivery.
- Maintain electronic databases of studies, methods, practice descriptions, work instructions, and field studies to increase the organization’s knowledge base.
- Maintain AutoCAD layout of production cells and facility.
- Support development and maintenance of manufacturing information regarding specifications, costing and margins per product line.
- Work on assignments as requested by VP of Operations, and Department Managers.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of B.S. in Industrial Management, Engineering, or related degree.
- Five (5) years of experience in a fabrication /manufacturing environment.
- Experience in automation, ERP, ISO 9001:2008/2015, CAD and utilization of lean manufacturing principles required.
- Ability to make procedural, policy and program decisions to determine operational improvements in quality and efficiency.
- Process thinking mentality.
- Able to work with little to no supervision.
- Ability to solve difficult problems or challenges encountered when meeting with managers and supervisors or staff to agree on appropriate methods for adjusting production, staffing and purchasing to meet production schedule; as well as developing and upgrading performance of the production staff.
- Must have strong oral and written communication skills.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to work closely and productively with subordinates, peers and higher levels of management.
- Possess the ability to motivate and maintain effective working relationships with staff and managers.
- Able to be certified as a forklift driver.
The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit and specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.