Roy M. Broughton, Jr.
Lifetime Service Award
North Carolina State University:
Ph.D. 1970 Fiber and Polymer Science
M. S. 1967 Wood and Paper Science; Chemistry minor
B. S. 1964 Pulp and Paper Technology
Memberships: The Fiber Society, American Chemical Society, Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry (Nonwovens Division: Previously held all the officer positions on Fibers Committee, and was Continuing Education Chairman and Member of the Nonwovens Division Council), Auburn Representative on International Nonwovens and Disposables Association (INDA) Technical Advisory Board. Member of Program Committee for the Joint TAPPI/INDA International Nonwovens Technical Conference. Previous Member of Editorial Board of International Nonwovens Journal. Area Editor Journal of Engineered Fibers and Fabrics.
Occasional review for Textile Research Journal, International Nonwovens Journal, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, the U.S. Department of Commerce (patents), the U. S. Department of Agriculture (Research and SBIR proposals) and Presentation of some 80 papers at short courses and scientific meetings, author/coauthor on some 50 refereed publications, and inventor on 6 US Patents.
FULL‑TIME PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
September, 1976 ‑ present: Professor of Textile Engineering, Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama (Tenure: 1982, Graduate faculty: 1985, Full Professor: 1993, Philpott-WestPoint Stevens Distinguished Professor 1999 – 2002.
January, 1970 ‑ September, 1976: Senior Research Chemist, Polyester Research and Development Division, The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, Akron, Ohio
PART‑TIME OR TEMPORARY EXPERIENCE
Summer 2004, Summer Faculty Fellow, NASA Marshal Space Flight Center, Huntsville, AL.
Summer 1986, Summer Faculty Intern, U. S. Army R D and E Laboratory, Natick, MA.
Summer 1983 and 1984 Summer Intern, Electronics Dept., West Point Pepperell, Shawmut, AL
June, 1966 ‑ January, 1970: Research Fellowship, Department of Textile Chemistry, North Carolina State University, Raleigh N.C.
Summer 1964, Research Engineer, Westvaco, Savannah, GA.
HONORS and AWARDS
Elected to Phi Psi Textile Honorary (1982),
Textile Engineering Outstanding Faculty Member (1983, 1990).
Philpott-WestPoint Stevens Distinguished Professor of Textile Engineering (1999 – 2002), Mark Hollingsworth Prize – Nonwovens Division of Tappi (2000).
Best Paper, Fibers Session, INTC 2004, Spun Melt 2007.
EPA Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Award, 2005, (Team Award – Member of Team). Appointed Adjunct Professor in the Center for Green Manufacturing, UA Tuscaloosa, 2004 – present.
Appointed Adjunct Professor in the Department of Materials Engineering University of Tennessee 2006.
Coauthor on Best Conference Paper, INTC 2007
SUMMARY OF PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Major research areas have included:
- * Protective materials – permeability, filtration, ballistics, chemical reactivity, insulation.
- * High performance fabric structures – lunar habitat etc.
- *Antimicrobial treatments for fibers, fabrics and other surfaces,
- *Novel extrusion processes for polymer solutions and gels,
- *High performance composite structures for tethers and containers,
- Extrusion of bioengineered proteins,
- *New braided structures and production machinery,
- *Nonwovens from unique fibers (partially carbonized, basalt, *feathers, waste etc.),
- *Measurement of nonwoven properties (*insulation, filtration, emi shielding etc),
- Fiber property measurement (length distribution, maturity, stickiness and friction),
- Infra-red heating of textile substrates,
- Physical properties of acoustic foam,
- Computer aided design of woven and knitted textiles, and
- Various chemical finishing technologies for fibers and fabrics.
2. Teaching Graduate Level
Teaching a graduate level course in “Polymer Chemistry” (FBEN 6510) Structures, synthesis, kinetics,
MWD, production methods.
Teaching a graduate level course in “Structure and Properties of Polymers” (TE 7310) and laboratory.
Teaching a graduate leveling course covering all aspects of textile manufacturing (ITAS 7200).
Direction of graduate level projects courses and thesis research.
Service as Graduate Program Officer and initial advisor to all Textile graduate students (1988-1993).
Committee Member on 16 previous MS Committees and Chairman on 6 MS Committees (4 completed)
Committee member on 12 previous PhD Committees, Chairman on 6 PhD Committees (4 completed)
Teaching undergraduate in fiber science. Lectures concentrate on structure/property relationships; laboratories involve extrusion, microscopy, fiber identification, chemical/ physical testing.
Teaching of a course in Non-Conventional Fabric Structures (nonwovens and carpets). The course covers both the manufacturing technologies and the structure and properties of the products produced.
Teaching courses in Introductory Textile Chemistry and in Textile Slashing and Yarn Preparation
Teaching a course in Analytical Instrumentation. An introduction was provided in the techniques of gas chromatography, infrared and visible spectroscopy, color measurement), x‑ray diffraction, thermal analysis, electron microscopy, viscosity, pressure, and temperature measurements.
Teaching in some ten or more Extension Courses at Auburn University Engineering. Material presented included fibers, nonwovens, SPC, texturing, testing, waste‑water treatment, polypropylene, and adhesion.
Teaching in a dozen or more short courses and tutorials presented by the Nonwovens Division of TAPPI and at the International Nonwovens Technical Conference (nonwoven products, fibers and processes).
Short teaching, research or testing projects as service to industry for at least fifty different companies.
Oversight of Nonwovens, Fiber Extrusion, and Physical and Chemical Testing laboratories in the Department of Polymer and Fiber Engineering. This has included the design, installation and startup of the Nonwovens and Fiber Extrusion laboratories, project supervision for fiber and fabric testing, as well as personnel supervision in the day-to- day operations of the laboratories.
Senior Research Chemist, Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co.:
Bench scale polymerization – evaluation of new monomers, copolymers,
Pilot plant evaluation of low diethylene glycol polymerization process,
Pilot plant evaluation of heated quench collar for extrusion, yarn for texturing, melt filtration,
Pilot plant evaluation of false twist texturing,
Test method development for gel in polymer and fiber,
Fiber and polymer microscopy – identification of contamination,
Extrusion plant trials of new spin finishes, and troubleshooting size variation in fiber production.
Other Relevant Information
Dr. Broughton’s broad background in science and engineering allow him to make contributions to a wide variety of problems in manufacture, processing and use of fibers and polymeric materials.
- “Biocidal siloxane coating material containing N-halogenated amine and amide functional groups” Worley; Shelby D., Chen; Yongjun, Liang; Jie, Wu; Rong, Barnes; Kevin, Broughton; Royall M.., Cho; Unchin , Lee; Jaewoong, US Patent 7,335,373 , February 26, 2008.
- “Rotably Driven Braiding Machine”, John Klein, David Beale and Roy Broughton U. S. Patent 5,913,959, June 22, 1999.
- “Braided Fabric and Method of Forming”, John Klein, David Beale and Roy Broughton U. S. Patent 5,899,134, May 4, 1999.
- “Slip Yarn Braiding Device”, D. Vickers, Q. Zhiang, J. Klein, D. Beale, R. Broughton, R. Walker, US Patent, 5,727,438 Mar. 17, 1998.
- “Reduction of Glycol Ethers in Polyester” Broughton, R. et.al., U.S. Patent 4,230,818, October 28, 1980.
- “Method for producing polyesters containing low amounts of ether by‑products” U. S. Patent
4,223,124, R. M. Broughton, J. R. Joseph and T. E. Winters, June 22, 1979.
- Jaewoong Lee, R. M. Broughton, S. D. Worley, T. S. Huang, “Antimicrobial Polymeric Materials; Cellulose and m-aramid Composite Fibers”, Journal of Engineered Fibers and Fabrics, 2 (4),25-32 (2007).
- Akdag, H. B. Kocer, S. D. Worley, R. M. Broughton, T. R. Webb, and T. H. Bray, “Why Does Kevlar Decompose, While Nomex Does Not When Treated with Aqueous Chlorine Solutions?”, J. Phys. Chem. A, 111, pp. 5581-5586, (2007)
- Jaewoong Lee, Xuehong Ren, R. M. Broughton, Jie Liang, S. D. Worley, and T. S. Huang, Electro-spun Antimicrobial Acrylic Fiber, Journal of the Korean Society of Dyers and Finishers 19, (2) 44-49 (2007)
- Jaewoong Lee, Royall M. Broughton, Akin Akdag, S. D. Worley,*, Tung S. Huang“Preparation and Application of an s-Triazine-Based Novel N-Halamine Biocide for Antimicrobial Fibers”, Fibers and Polymers, 8 (2) 148-154 (2007)
- J. Liang, K. Barnes, A. Akdag, S. D. Worley, J. Lee, R. M. Broughton, T. S. Huang, “An Improved Antimicrobial Siloxane”, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. , 46 (7), 1861-66 (2007).
- K. Barnes, J. Liang, S. D. Worley, J. Lee, R. M. Broughton, T. S. Huang, ”Modification of Silica Gel, Cellulose, and Polyurethane with a Sterically Hindered N-Halamine Moiety to Produce Antimicrobial Activity” Journal of Applied Polymer Science , 105 (4), 2306-13 (2007).
- Jaewoong Lee, R. M. Broughton, J. Liang, S. D. Worley and T. S. Huang, “Antimicrobial Acrylic Fiber”, Research Journal of Textile and Apparel , 10 (4) 61 – 66 (2007).
- L. Kou, J. Liang, S. D. Worley, J. Lee, R. M. Broughton, and T. S. Huang, “Antimicrobial Cellulose: Preparation and Application of 5-methyl-5-aminomethylhydantoin”, Res. J. Tex. Apparel, 10 (4) 44-53 (2007).
- Jaewoong Lee, Royall M. Broughton, Akin Akdag, S. D. Worley, Tung-Shi Huang, “Antimicrobial Fibers Created via Polycarboxylic Acid, Durable Press Treatment” Textile Research Journal 2007; 77; 604
- J. Liang, R. Wu, J-W. Wang, K. Barnes, S. D. Worley, U. Cho, J. Lee, R. M. Broughton, and T.S. Huang,
“N-Halamine Biocidal Coatings”, J. Ind. Microbiol, & Biotechnol. , 34, 157 (2007), invited paper.
- K. Barnes, J. Liang, R. Wu, S. D. Worley, J. Lee, R. M. Broughton, T. S. Huang, “Synthesis and Antimicrobial Applications of 5,5′-ethylenebis[5-methyl-3-(triethoxysilylpropyl)hydantoin]”, Biomaterials 2006, 27, 4825-4830.
- “Novel N-halamine siloxane monomers and polymers for preparing biocidal coatings” S.D. Worley,, Y. Chen, J-W Wang, R Wu, U Cho, R M Broughton, J Kim, C-I Wei, J F Williams, J Chen, and Y Li, Surf. Coat. Intern. Part B. Coat. Trans., 88, 93 (2005) (invited paper).
- “Light-Controlled Generation of Palladium Crystallite Structures in Polyimide Films”, G. A. Gaddy, Edward P. Locke, G. Mills, R. Broughton,. R. Albrecht-Schmitt, M. E. Miller, Diane M. Stoakley, Catharine C Faye,. And Gilda Miner, J. Phys. Chem., 2004, 108, 45, 17378-17383.
- “Quasistatic Behavior of Polymer Composite Flywheels” Jianmin Chen, Yasser Gowayed, R. M. Broughton, Polymer Composites, 25 (5) 2004.
- “Biocidal Polyester” Jian Lin, Catherine Winkelman, S.D. Worley, Jangho Kim, Unchin Cho, R. M. Broughton, J. I. Santiago, and J. F. Williams, J. Appl. Poly. Sci. 85, 177-182 (2002)
- Antimicrobial Treatment of Nylon” Jian Lin, Catherine Winkelman, S.D. Worley, R. M. Broughton, J. F. Williams, J. Appl. Poly. Sci. 81, 943 – 947 (2001).
- “Photogeneration of Silver Particles in PVA Fibers and Films” G. A. Gaddy, J.L. McLain, E. S. Steigerwalt, R. Broughton, B. L. Slaten, and G. Mills, Journal of Cluster Science 12(3) 457-471 (September 2001)
- “A Novel Biocidal Elastomer”, Elrod, D.B., G. Figlar, S. D. Worley, R. M. Broughton, J.R. Bickert, J.I. Santiago, and J.F. Williams, 2001 Rubber Chem and Tech , 74(2), p331 – 337
- “Analysis of Circular Braiding Process, Part 1: Theoretical Investigation of Kinematics of the Circular Braiding Process”, Q. Zhang, D. Beale, R.M. Broughton, 1999, ASME J of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, v121(3), p.345‑350.
- “Analysis of Circular Braiding Process, Part 2: Mechanics Analysis of the Circular Braiding Process and Experiment”, Q. Zhang, D. Beale, R.M. Broughton, Adanur, S. ASME J of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, v121(3), p.351‑359 (1999).
- “Chicken Feather as a Fiber Source For Nonwoven Insulation” Weiqin Ye, Roy M. Broughton, Jr. and Joseph B Hess, International Nonwovens Journal, 8(1)Spring 1999, (p53-65).
- “Recovery and Reuse of Waste PVC Coated Fabrics, Part I”, Sabit Adanur, Zhenwei Hou and Roy Broughton, Journal of Coated Fabrics 28, July 1998 (1 – 19). “Part II” 28 October 1998 (145 – 168).
- Structural Analysis of Two Dimensional Braided Fabric”, Qiang, Z., D. Beale, S. Adanur, R. Broughton, R. Walker, Journal of the Textile Institute 88 ( Part 1, #1 ) 41 – 52 (1997).
- “Investigation of Processing Performance and Blending Efficiency of Cotton Fibers During Spinning Preparation”, ElMogahzy, Y, and R.Broughton, Melliand Textileberichte. (English/German Edition), Vol. 4, pp E52‑E55, G212‑G218, (1995)
- “Frictional Profile of Cotton Fibers and its Importance in Determining Fiber Performance in Nonwovens Processing, Part II: Experimental Observations”, El Mogahzy, Yehia, Roy M. Broughton, Jr and Qin Wang, International Nonwovens Journal 7(1)26-34 (1995)
- “Polymers and Fibers”, “Manufacture of Manmade Fibers”, and “Nonwoven Fabrics”. Roy Broughton and Paul Brady, Contribution to three chapters in ed. Sabit Adanur: Wellington Sears Handbook of Industrial Fabrics, Technomic Publishing Co. Lanaster,Pa. 1995
- “Investigation of Processing Performance and Blending Efficiency of Cotton Fibers During Spinning Preparation” ElMogahzy, Y. and R. Broughton, 1995, Melliand Textilberichte. English/German Edition), Vol. 4, pp E52-E55, G212-G218.
- “Thermal Properties of Novel Carbonaceous Battings” Shanley, L. A., B. L. Slaten, P. Shanley, R. M. Broughton, D. M. Hall and M. Baginski, Journal of Fire Sciences 12 (3) 238-245 (1994).
- “Maximizing the Production Rate of Woven Fabrics Using Braiding Principles” D. Beale, S. Adanur, R. Broughton, R. Walker, and Q.Zhang, Milliand Textilberichte 75 (4) 267-272 (1994)
- “A New Approach for Evaluating the Frictional Behavior of Cotton Fibers: Part 1 – Fundamental Aspects and Measuring Techniques” Yehia E. El Mogahzy and Roy M. Broughton, Jr. Textile Research Journal63 (8) 267-272 (1993).
- “The Use of a New Carbonaceous Fiber in Thermal Insulative Battings” R. Broughton, D. Hall, P. Brady, L. Shanley, B.L.Slaten, INDA Journal of Nonwovens Research 5 (4) 38-42 (1993).
- “The Measurement of Fiber Friction and Its Importance in Manufacturing Cotton Nonwovens”, Roy M. Broughton, Jr. and Yehia E. El Mogahzy, TAPPI Journal 76: (2) 178 – 182 (1993).
- “Ionomer Studies of Polyethylene-Acrylic Acid Copolymer – Part I – Fiber Preparation and Properties”, Roy M. Broughton, Jr. and David M. Hall, J. Appl. Poly Sci 48: 1501-1513 (1993).
- “Ionomer Studies of Polyethylene-Acrylic Acid Copolymer – Part II -Effect of Swelling Method and Ionermerization Tensions on Ion Absorption of PEAA Fibers “, David M. Hall, Roy M. Broughton, Jr. and Roy C Wilcox, Journal of Applied Polymer Science 47, 2079-2082 (1993).
- “Ionomer Studies of Polyethylene-Acrylic Acid Copolymer (PEAA) Part III – Latex Dispersions for Improving the Tensile and Abrasion Properties of Textiles Containing Cotton,” David M. Hall and Roy M. Broughton, Jr., International Journal of Clothing and Science Technology 5 (2) 20-25 (1993).
- “Regressional Observations of HVI Fiber Properties, Yarn Quality and Processing Performance of Medium Staple Cottons”, Y. ElMogahzy and Roy M. Broughton, Jr., Textile Research Journal 62 (4) 218-226 (1992).
- “Mechanism of Yarn Failure”, Roy M. Broughton, Jr., Y. ElMogahzy, and D. M. Hall, Textile Research Journal 62 (3) 131-134 (1992).
- “Fixation of Reactive Dyes Using Radio Frequency Energy” W. S. Perkins, R. Broughton, W. K. Walsh, and S. Ruiquing, Journal of the Society of Dyers and Colorists 108 (2) 70-73 (1992).
- “Experimental and Numerical Characterization of the Radio Frequency Drying of Textile Materials II” M. Baginski, R. Broughton, D. Hall, and L. Christman, Journal of Microwave Power and Electromagnetic Energy 25:(2) 104-113 (1990).
- “A Statistical Approach for the Determination of the Value of Cotton in the Marketing System Using HVI Fiber Properties” Y. El Mogahzy, Roy M. Broughton, Jr. and W.K. Lynch, Textile Research Journal 60:(9) 495-500 (1990).
- “Infrared Drying of Textile Yarn” Final report on EPRI project 2893‑8, Roy M. Broughton, Jr. and M. Reed, March, 1989. Published in Radio Frequency and Infrared Drying of Sized Textile Warp Yarns EPRI, November, 1990.
- “Diagnosis of Multi‑Collinearity of Cotton Fiber Properties,” Y. El Mogahzy Roy M. Broughton, Jr. and W. K. Lynch, Textile Research Journal 59: (8) (1989).
- “Starch” D.M. Hall, and Roy M. Broughton, Jr. in Warp Sizing Handbook, editor: C Livengood, AATCC, Raleigh, N.C. (1987).
- “Effect of Hollow Core on the Rigidity of Fine Fibers” D.K. Gupta, and Roy M. Broughton, Jr. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 92: 2537‑2546 (1984).
- “Factors Affecting Weft Yarn Removal Rate” R. Walker and Roy M. Broughton, Jr. Journal of Industrial Fabrics, 2: (1) 29‑38 (1983).
- “The Effect of Relative Humidity on the Noise Attenuation of Foam Earplugs” with C. Smith et. al., American Industrial Hygiene Association Journal 44:814‑818 (1983).
- “Physical Properties and Attenuation of Foam Earplugs” with Roy M. Broughton, Jr. C. Smith et.al., American Industrial Hygiene Journal 43:31‑38 (1982).
- “Evaluation of New Energy Conserving Processes for Batch Dyeing of Polyester‑Cotton Blends” with other members of the Southeastern AATCC Research Committee, Textile Chemist and Colorist 11, 246‑258 (1979).
- “Selection of Process Conditions for Poly(Ethylene Terephthalate) Textile Yarn” T. Broderick and Roy M. Broughton, Jr., Textile Research Journal 47:666‑670 (1977).
- “The Detection and Identification of Particulate Contamination in Poly(Ethylene Terephthalate) Yarn” Roy M. Broughton, Jr., Textile Research Journal 46:155‑158 (1976).
- “Location and Distribution of N‑Methylol Acrylamide in the Radiation Induced, Delayed Cure Process” Roy M. Broughton, Jr., W. K. Walsh and M. Rollins, Textile Research Journal 40:672‑674 (1970).
PRESENTATIONS (Presentation made by RMB unless otherwise noted)
- Multistate meeting for S1031 Improvement and Sustainability of Channel-Blue Hybrid Catfish Embryo Production, Comparison of Cellulose Acetate and EVAC Based Luteinizing Hormone Releasing Hormone Analog Implants for the Production of Channel-Blue Hybrid Catfish Embryos, Rex Dunham (presenter) , Amina Zuberi, Royall Broughton , Fatma Kilinc-Balci Alison Hutson, Megan Rosinski, Atra Chaimongkol, Andrew Gima , D. Allen Davis and Jesse Chappell, February 2008
- Techtextile 08, “Smooth-Surface Calendered High Performance Melt Blown Membranes from Liquid Crystalline Polymer”, Larry C. Wadsworth 1, Roy M. Broughton, Jr2 (Speaker), Chris Eash3, Tonya J. Groomes4, M. G. Kamath1, Peter P. Tsai3, and Tommy Washington1 Atlanta, GA, April 1-3, 2008
- Techtextile 08, “Nano-reinforced Shape Memory Fibers” Maria L. Auad*, Tara Richardson, Mirna A. Mosiewicki, Fatma Kilinc-Balci, Norma E. Marcovich, Roy M. Broughton, Jr., Atlanta, GA, April 1-3, 2008
- Invited Seminar, “Processing of Polymers in Ionic Liquids”, Georgia Institute of Technology, November 19, 2007.
- The Fiber Society, “Antimicrobial, Elastomeric Fibers and Films via Halamines” Hasan Kocer1, Fatma Kilinc-Balci1, Maria Auad1, Mirna Mosiewicki Roy M. Broughton1, Jr., S. D. Worley2, and T.S. Huang3
University of Californina, Davis, October 9 – 12, 2007.
- International Nonwovens Technical Conference (INTC), “Production and Evaluation of Meltblown Poly(phenylene sulfide)”, Roy M. Broughton, Jr., Chris Eash and Larry C. Wadsworth, Atlanta, GA September 25-27, 2007, proceedings.
- INTC, “Extrusion of Composite Fibers”, Fatma S. Kilinc-Balci (presenter), Xiuling Fan, Hasan Kocer and Roy M. Broughton,, Atlanta, GA September 25-27, 2007, proceedings.
- INTC, “Extrusion Study of Nano-reinforced Shape Memory Fiber Prepared by Casting and
Extrusion”, M. A Mosiewicki (presenter), Tara Richardson, Fatma Kilinc-Balci, Roy M. Broughton, Jr., M. L. Auad, M. I. Aranguren and N. E. Marcovich, Atlanta, GA September 25-27, 2007, proceedings.
- Textile Processing: State of the Art & Future Developments – 4th International Conference of Textile Research Division NRC, “Cellulose Fibres Prepared from Direct Dissolution of Cellulose in Ionic Liquids”, N. Sun (presenter), R. P. Swatlosky, M. L. Maxim, R. M. Broughton, Jr.,4 S. K. Spear, D. T. Daly, A. Haque, A. G. Harland, and R. D. Rogers, Cairo, Egypt, April 15 – 17, 2007, Proceedings: 4 (2) (2007) 139 – 143.
- Rutgers symposium on Lunar Settlements “A One-Piece Lunar Regolith-Bag Garage Prototype”, Gweneth A. Smithers (presenter), Mary K. Nehls, Mary A. Hovater, Steven W. Evans, J. Scott Miller, Roy M. Broughton, Jr., David Beale, and Fatma Kilinc-Balci, Rutgers University, June 3 – 8, 2007.
- The Cotton Beltwide Conferences, “Antimicrobial Cellulose using Halamines”, Roy M. Broughton, Jr, Jaewoong Lee, Dave Worley, Akin Akdag, Kevin Barnes, J. Liang, Unchin Cho, T.S. Huang, New Orleans, January 2007
- INDA Short Course, “Elementary Nonwovens Short Course”, Roy M. Broughton, Jr. and Gajanan Bhatt, Raleigh, NC. December 2006.
- The Filtration Conference, “Advanced High Temperature Melt Blown Polyphenylene Sulfide Filter Media” Larry Wadsworth (presenter), Chris Eash, Roy Broughton, Philadelphia, PA, Novenber 2006.
- Space Resouorces Roundtable VIII, “A One-Piece Lunar Regolith-Bag Garage Prototype” Gweneth A. Smithers, (presenter) Mary K. Nehls, Mary A. Hovater, Steven W. Evans, J. Scott Miller, Roy M. Broughton, Jr., David Beale (presenter), and Fatma Killinc-Balci, Colorado School of Mines, October 31 – November 2, 2006
- Fifteenth Molten Salts Symposium, “A Look at Ionic Liquid Generated Cellulose and Modified Cellulose Fibers”, by R. Swatloski (presenter), R. Broughton, N. Sung, M. Maxim, D. Daly, S. Spear and R. Rogers, Cancun, Mexico, October 30, 2006.
- The Fiber Society, “Development of Orientation in Extruded Cellulose Fibers” Ramsis Farag, Roy M. Broughton, Fatma Kilinc-Balci, Weijun Wang, Richard Swatloski, and Robin Rogers, Knoxville, TN October, 2006.
- INTC, “Use of Feather Fiber in Air Filters”, Xiuling Fan, Ramsis Farag, Weijun Wang, Jaewoong Lee, Roy M. Broughton, September, 2006, proceedings
- ACS National Meeting, “Antimicrobial Polymeric Materials: Cellulose and m-Aramid Composite Fibers”, Jaewoong Lee, R. M. Broughton, S. D. Worley, T. S. Huang, Xiuling Fan, San Francisco, September 10, 2006
- The Fiber Society, “Antimicrobial Fibers via Dyeing Process”, Jaewoong Lee (presenter), A. Akdag , S. D. Worley, T. S. Huang and R. M. Broughton, Seoul Korea, May 2006.
- Invited Seminar on Extrusion and Properties of Cellulose/Aramid Fibers, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, May 2006
- ACS National Meeting, “ How Understanding the Ionic Liquid/Cellulose Dissolution can Guide the Generation of Advanced Cellulose Based Materials”, R. Swatloski (presenter), R. Broughton, G. Moyna, S. Spear, R. Rogers, Atlanta, March 27, 2006.
- National ACS Meeting, “Synthesis and Applications of 5,5′-ethylenebis[5-methyl-3-(3-triethoxysilylpropyl)imidazolidin-2,4-dione] for Durable and Regenerable Antimicrobial Surfaces”, K. Barnes, J. Liang, S. D. Worley, J. Lee, R. M. Broughton, and T. S. Huang, Ind. Eng. Chem. Abs. 50 Atlanta, GA, Mar. 2006.
- National ACS Meeting, “New Rechargeable Biocidal N-halamine Siloxanes”, J. Liang, K. Barnes, Y. Chen, S. D. Worley, J. Lee, R. M. Broughton, and T. S. Huang, Ind. Eng. Chem. Abs. 48 in Atlanta, GA, Mar. 2006.
National ACS Meeting, J. Liang, T. S. Huang, and S. D. Worley, “Coating New N-halamine Siloxanes on Silica Gel to Prepare Biocidal Silica Gels”, Ind. Eng. Chem. Abs. 49 Atlanta, GA, Mar. 2006.
- Four invited lectures on Polymer Structure and Properties, Center for Green Manufacturing, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, January – May 2006.
- Pacifichem, “N-Halamine Biocidal Coatings” S. D. Worley, J Liang, R. Broughton, T, Huang, Honolulu, Hawaii, December, 2005.
- Pacifichem, “Preparation of new Antimicrobial Materials using Halamines” Unchin Cho, Jaewoong Lee, R. Broughton, and S. D. Worley, Honolulu, Hawaii, December 2005.
- Pacifichem, “Extrusion of Composite Fibers and Films” R. M. Broughton, G. Shen, Unchin Cho, Jaewoong Lee, Rick Swatloski, and Robin Rogers, Honolulu, Hawaii, December 2005.
- Fiber Society Conference, “A New Approach to Produce High Tensile Strength and High Modulus Cellulose Fiber” Wang, Weijun (presenter) and Roy M. Broughton, Newark, NJ., October 17 – 19, 2005.
- INTC, “Antimicrobial Acrylic Fiber” Jaewoong Lee, Roy M. Broughton, Jr., S. D. Worley, J. Liang, T-S. Huang, St Louis, MO, September 2005.
- Soc. Ind. Microbiol, Biofilms 2005 Symp., “N-Halamine Biocidal Coatings”, S. D. Worley (presenter), J. Liang, R, Wu, J-W. Wang, K. Barnes, U. Cho, J. Lee, R. M. Broughton, and T. S. Huang, Arlington, VA, April, 2005.
- Paint Research Association, International Meeting on Hygienic Coatings, “N-Halamine Biocidal Coatings”, S. D. Worley (presenter), J. Liang, R. Wu, U. Cho, and R. M. Broughton, Paris, FR, March, 2005.
- Cotton Beltwide Conferences, “Cellulose Fibers Extruded from Ionic Liquids”, Weijun Wang Guanglin Shen, Richard P. Swatloski, Ramsis Farag, Roy M. Broughton, Jr, Robin D. Rogers, New Orleans, January, 2005.
- INTC, “New Solvents for Cellulose Extrusion” Weijun Wang, Guanglin Shen, Richard P. Swatloski, Ramsis Farag, Roy M. Broughton, Jr, Robin D. Rogers, Toronto, Canada, 2004.
- Conference on Hygienic Coatings and Surfaces “Novel N-halamine siloxane monomers and polymers for preparing biocidal coatings”, S D Worley (presenter), Y Chen, J-W Wang, R Wu, U Cho, R M Broughton, J Kim, C-I Wei, J F Williams, J Chen, and Y Li, Orlando, FL, January 2004.
- Cotton Beltwide Conferences “Review of Nonwovens and Testing Equipment on Exhibition at ITMA 2003” January 2004, San Antonio, TX, Published proceedings and also in Southern Textile News.
- Cotton Beltwide Conferences, “Comparison of Insulation Properties for Various Nonwoven Batting Materials” Roy Broughton, Unchin Cho, Paul Brady, January, 2003, Nashville, TN.
- American Chemical Society National Meeting, “Antimicrobial Surfaces” Unchin Cho, Roy M. Broughton, Jr., and S. D. Worley, March 2003, New Orleans, LA.
- INTC, “Nonwovens Process Technology Tutorial” Roy Broughton, Larry Wadsworth, and Ivo Ruzek, (presentations by all authors), September 2001, Atlanta (proceedings)
- INTC, “Incorporation of Antimicrobial Materials in Fabric” Roy Broughton, Unchin Cho, Dave Worley, Gang Sun, Unchin Cho, and Jian Lin, September 2001, Baltimore, MD (proceedings)INTC, “Nonwoven Fibers Tutorial,” Roy Broughton, Terry Young and Alan Meierhoefer (presentations by all authors), September 2001, Baltimore, MD
- INTC, “ Model Development for Cost and Efficiency Comparisons of Nonwoven Insulation Matereials”, Paul Brady (presentor), and Roy Broughton, September 2000, Dallas, TX. (proceedings)
- American Chemical Society National Meeting, “Novel Biocidal Elastomeric Materials”, S. D Worley (presenter), R. M. Broughton, D. B. Elrod, J. F. Williams, and J. Santiago, March 2000, San Francisco, CA.
- INTC, “Nonwoven Products Tutorial,” Roy Broughton and Edward Vaughn, September 2000, Dallas, TX (presentation by both authors)
- Beltwide Cotton Conferences, “Measurement of Short Fiber Content” Roy Broughton, Yehia ElMogahzy and Tom Pritchard, January 2000, San Antonio, TX (proceedings).
- INDA Tec, “Antimicrobial Textiles” Unchin Cho, Roy Broughton, Dave Worley, Gang Sun, and Jian Lin, September, 1999, Atlanta, GA, (proceedings).
- INDA Tec, “ Chicken Feather as a Fiber Source for Nonwoven Insulation” Weiqin Ye, Roy Broughton, and Joseph P Hess, INDA Tec, September, 1998, Atlantic City, NJ, (proceedings).
- Tappi Nonwovens Conference, “Nonwoven Products Tutorial”, March 1998, St Petersburg, FL.
- Beltwide Cotton Conferences, “A rapid Test for Honeydew Contamination Using the Clinitest Reagent” Roy Broughton and Wade Wallace, January 1998, San Diego CA, (proceedings).
- Beltwide Cotton Conferences, “The Contribution of Fiber Friction to Yarn Quality”, Hong Guo (presentor), Yehia ElMogahzy and Roy Broughton, January 1998, San Diego, CA, (proceedings).
- Archtex Textile Conference, “Measurement of Fiber Friction” with H Guo and Y. ElMogahzy, Lodz, Poland, October 1997, (proceedings).
- Quality Tech Short Course “Textile Testing, SPC and Production/Cost Planning in the Textile Industry”
RMB lecture on textile testing and quality control, September, 1997, Atlanta.
- TAPPI Nonwovens Conference, Fibers Tutorial, March 1997, Memphis, TN.
- Beltwide Cotton Conferences, “Rapid Procedure for Measurement of Honeydew Contamination on Cotton”, with Elizabeth Topping (student presentor), January 1997, New Orleans LA, (proceedings)
- TAPPI Nonwovens Converence, Nonwovens Process Technology Tutorial, March, 1996.
- Hi-Tech Textiles Conference: “Initial Design of Nonwoven Fabrics For Air Filtration” with S.I. Bakhtiyarov, Paul Bardy and S.Adanur, July 1995, Greenville, SC.
- Beltwide Cotton Conferences: “Friction in Chemically Treated Cotton”, with Y ElMogahzy and Q Wang, January 1995, San Antonio, TX (proceedings)
- Tappi Nonwovens Conference: “Fiber Tutorial: Structure and Properties of Fibers”, with Paul Brady, February 1994, Greenlefe, FL (proceedings)
- Beltwide Cotton Conferences: “Frictional Properties of Normal and Chemically Treated Cotton” with Y. ElMogahzy and Q. Wang, January 1994, San Diego, CA (proceedings).
- Tappi Nonwovens Conference: “The Development of A New Carbonaceous Fiber and its Use in Nonwoven Battings” with D. M. Hall, P. Brady, and Francis. P. McCullough, Atlanta, GA. (proceedings)
- INDA Nonwovens Fundamental Research Conference: “The Use of a New Carbonaceous Fiber in Thermal Insulative Battings”, with D.M. Hall, P. Brady, L. Slaten and L. Shanley, June 1993, Clemson, SC, (proceedings).
- Technical Textiles Conference: “Manufacture of Carbonaceous Fibers and their Use in Thermal Insulative Battings” June 1993, Greenville, SC
- Beltwide Cotton Conferences: “The Dependence of Moisture Regain and Sorption of Reactive Dyes on the Bulk Maturity of Cotton” with W. Perkins and I. Reed (presented by W. Perkins) January, 1993, New Orleans, LA (proceedings).
- Tappi Fibers Short Course: “Miscellaneous. Fibers (Metal, Ceramic, SAP Bast Fibers)”, Bedford, NH. (proceedings)
- Tappi Nonwovens Conference: “The Measurement of Friction and its Importance in Cotton Nonwovens”, with Y. ElMogahzy, Marco Island, FL. (proceedings)
- Beltwide Cotton Conferences: “The Measurement and Importance of Cotton Fiber Friction”, with Y ElMogahzy, January 1992, San Antonio, TX (proceedings)
Clemson University Short Course: “Military Textile Research at Auburn”, with D. Hall Greenville, SC. (proceedings).
- Auburn University Short Course: “ITMA Review: Nonwovens” Auburn, AL.
- Rayon Acetate Council Sponsored Seminar, Rayon Technology and Nonwovens, Nashville, TN.
- AATCC International Conference: “Use of RF Energy in Pad/Batch Dyeing” presented by W. Perkins, October 1990, Boston MA. (proceedings).
- EFS MiniConference: “Report on a Mill Regression Trial” with Y ElMogahzy, Raleigh, NC.
- Radio Frequency Drying, INDA Tec, (proceedings)
- Auburn Slashing Short Course: “Infrared Drying of Sized Yarns” Roy Broughton, M. Reed and W. Perkins, Auburn AL,
- Tappi Fibers Short Course: “Fiber Science”, Auburn, AL. (proceedings)
Rayon Acetate Council Seminar: “Nonwoven Fabrics”, Elizabethton, TN.
- Auburn University Solving Tufted Textile Problems Short Course: “Flammability of Carpets ‑ Arson Aspects”, With D. Hall and T. Schofield, Auburn, Al. (proceedings)
- Industrial Fabrics Association Annual Convention “Selection of Cotton Fiber Properties for use in Models of Yarn Strength”, with Y El Mogahzy and W. K. Lynch, Chicago, IL. (proceedings)
- Engineered Fiber Selection MiniConference: “The Role of Regression Methodology in Detecting Collinearity of HVI Data”, Y. El Mogahzy (presentor) and Roy Broughton, Raleigh, NC.
- Auburn University Slashing Short Course: “Infrared Drying of Sized Yarn ‑ Progress Report with W. Perkins and M. Reed, Auburn AL. also presented at Southeastern Section of AATCC
Auburn University Seminar in Computer Science and Engineering, “Computer Aided Design in Textiles”, Auburn, Al.
- Annual Cotton Research Conference: “Visualization of Cotton Fiber Properties”, Roy Broughton, Y. El Mogahzy, T. Madderra and W. Lynch, Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Rayon Acetate Council Seminar: “Fiber Science”, Johnson City, TN.
- Florida Arson Seminar: “Flammability of Carpets” with D. Hall, Orlando, FL.
- Auburn University Short Course: “ITMA Review: Fibers and Nonwovens”, Auburn, AL.
- Auburn University Short Course: “Textiles for Forensic Science” Auburn, AL.
- Tappi Fibers Short Course: Fiber Fundamentals
- N.C. State University Conference on Computer Aided Design: “Q‑Weave Program Developed at Auburn” With R. P. Walker and S. Shyong, Charlotte, NC.
- Clemson University Polypropylene Conference: “Adhesion” Clemson, SC.
- AATCC Southeastern Section: “Adhesion” Columbus, GA.
- American Auditory Society, “Physical Characteristics and Attenuation of Earplugs” New Orleans, LA.
- Solving Tufted Textile Problems Short Course, “A Critical Analysis of Carpet Backing Components”, Auburn, AL.
- Practical Fiber Identification Short Course, Instructor with D. Hall, Auburn, AL
- Textile Fundamentals Short Course, Instructor for Fibers section, Auburn, AL
- U. S. Air Force (with S. D. Worley, PI) “Biocidal Materials” ~ $ 1,000,000 + over the last 5 years.
- USDA “Value Added Products from Feather Fiber” $175K (2004 – 2006)
- NASA (with D. Beale) “Lunar Regolith-Bag Structures” $119K (2005 – 2006)
- NASA (with D. Beale, PI, and P. Schwartz) Tether Structures for Space Applications $400K (2006)
- National Textile Center “Ionic Liquids for Fiber Extrusion” $120k/year (2005 – 2007)
Throughout career: More than $7,000,000. from various agencies including:
The National Textile Center
U. S. Air Force
U. S. Army
U. S. Navy
A variety of industrial sponsors.
OTHER INDUSTRY SERVICE
Supervision of several major evaluation and testing projects in our testing laboratory for various industrial clients. Major projects have included:
barrier properties of microporous film,
laboratory and pilot scale manufacture of nonwovens.
abrasion of table and seat covers,
audible squeaking of coated fabrics,
extrusion of polypropylene fibers containing particulate FR chemicals
extrusion of polystyrene fibers
extrusion of poly(ethylene/acrylic acid) fibers
production of numerous nonwoven fabrics for insulation, mattress pads, filtration etc.
Consultation and expert witness on UV degradation of polymers for an industrial client.
Consultation on patents for yarn manufacture.