The HYGIENIX Innovation Award™ recognizes and rewards innovation within the entire disposable absorbent hygiene value chain that utilizes nonwoven fabric or technology in a way that expands the usage of nonwovens. Presented annually at the HYGIENIX™ Conference, eligible categories include, but are not limited to: raw materials, roll goods, converting, packaging, active ingredients, binders, additives and end-use products.
Companies are encouraged to nominate their own product(s) for the HYGIENIX Innovation Award™, but only one (1) product per company will be selected as a finalist. To qualify for consideration as a nominee for the HYGIENIX Innovation Award™, all nominated products must:
- Be involved in some portion of the process and production of a disposable absorbent hygiene product. Competition is open to all disposable absorbent hygiene products, components, fabrication techniques or nonwoven manufacturing technology utilizing a nonwoven fabric.
- Have been introduced to the consumer market, or to the trade, within the 24 months preceding the event date.
- Not have been selected as a finalist in any previous HYGIENIX Innovation Award™ competition and not have been a winner of any other INDA award. A nominated product not selected as a finalist or other award winner may be nominated the following year, but no more than two (2) nominations total.
- Finalists must agree to present their product in person at the HYGIENIX™ Conference and to provide a digital 300 dpi/1MB high resolution image of their product for promotional purposes.
Nominated products should demonstrate advancements in one or more of the following categories:
- Creativity (Was there imaginative skill used to create a solution to a known problem?)
- Novelty of approach (Is the method or thought process used to create the product new?)
- Uniqueness (Is this the only product of its type in the marketplace?)
- Technical sophistication (Does the product/process use nonwoven technology in an intellectually elegant manner?)
The Technical Advisory Board (TAB) of INDA will choose finalists that, in their view, exemplify innovation within the absorbent hygiene value chain and advances the use of nonwovens. If TAB determines that a product or technology nominated for the HYGIENIX Innovation Award™ is better suited for an alternate INDA Award (e.g., RISE® Innovation Award), TAB will remove the candidate from the list of nominations and submit it for consideration in the applicable award category.
Finalists will present their innovation to the industry at the HYGIENIX™ Conference. Voting shall be weighted equally across three voting bodies: (1) INDA’s Technical Advisory Board (TAB), (2) the affiliated Conference Committee and (3) the respective registered Conference attendees. Each group shall vote separately and be given equal weight in the final determination of the award winner. Once the weighted votes have been tabulated onsite, the winner will be announced during the scheduled conference hours.
INDA's Technical Advisory Board (TAB), consisting of INDA's President and Technical Director plus industry members with a technical background, shall first select the award finalists from all submissions and then vote on the finalist that best embodies the award criteria. Product scores will be the percentage of TAB votes obtained carried out to two (2) decimal places. INDA personnel will vote on which products make the Finalist category, but not on which shall be the winner of the Award. This will be one-third of the total score for a product finalist.
The Conference Committee, consisting of an INDA staff coordinator and industry members from the market segment of the conference, shall vote on the finalist. Product scores will be the percentage of Committee votes obtained carried out to two (2) decimal places. This will be one-third of the total score for a product finalist. TAB Members on the Conference Committee shall vote only once and INDA staff shall not vote.
The Conference attendees who register and receive a ballot as part of their registration fee shall vote for the finalist. Product scores will be the percentage of the attendee votes obtained carried out to two (2) decimal places. This will be one-third of the total score for a product finalist. TAB members and Conference Committee members shall vote only once either in their specified group or as an attendee.
The winning finalist shall be determined by totaling the voting percentages from the three voting groups and announced during the scheduled conference hours.
Each company whose products are nominated shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless INDA, its directors, officers, members, employees, and agents, and all other individuals involved in the voting process from and against any and all claims, actions, judgments, demands, liabilities, losses, injuries, costs and expenses arising out of or relating to such company’s products, including the manufacturing, packaging, labeling, advertising, sale, and use of such products.
- Complete the Online Nomination Submission
- Send a sample of the product to
INDA, Association of the Nonwoven Fabrics Industry
Atten: Vickie Smead, Education, Awards, Orders & Training
1100 Crescent Green, Suite 115
Cary, NC 27518
Categories and rules are based upon the interpretation of the Technical Advisory Board.
Countdown to Hygienix 2021
- 11/19/2020Nominations Accepted Now
- 08/20/2021Nomination deadline, nominations period concluded for Hygienix 2021
- 08/20 - 10/12Technical Analysis Period
- 10/12/2021Finalists Announced
- 11/16/2021Finalists Present product at Hygienix 2021
- 11/18/2021Winner Announced at Hygienix 2021
Online Nomination Submission:
Hygienix 2021 Innovation Award™
Hygienix Innovation Award™ Winners
- 2020: “MDP” Male Drip Protection : Dermasteel Ltd
There exists today over ten million men in the U.S. that are coping with some form of bladder leakage. To date, men have not had a variety of product choices available to them, largely because the nonwoven hygiene industry has traditionally placed more focus on the feminine hygiene market. For men experiencing light incontinence and bladder leakage, the choices for products available in the market are predominately guards, shields and briefs, all of which can be ineffective, uncomfortable, and not very discreet, particularly for someone only experiencing drips and dribbles.
- 2019: The FEUR System : Vemarei LLC
The FEUR System offers discrete fecal incontinence protection, is easy to remove, and provides all a wearer needs to clean themselves up after a bowel movement. The FEUR System’s interior core of the pad is made from a highly absorbent nonwoven. The core is sandwiched between two outer layers of nonwoven fabric which are welded together to create the channel for the pull cord. The sophisticated design of the pull cord is integral to the entire FEUR System as the wearer simply begins to pull the cord at the first sign of a bowel movement, creating the absorbent pouch to contain the loose stool.
- 2018: Calla Lily Personal Care Ltd.: Tampliners®
Tampliner®, an organic cotton tampon with a built-in mini-liner with a patented virtual applicator for clean insertion, removal and protection against leaks.
- 2017: ALYNE: ALYNE™ Protective Underwear
Introducing ALYNE™ a brand-new product, that totally manages fluid absorption in a different than any other protective underwear! ALYNE DIAMOND QUILT™ employs multiple layers of different SAPs that absorb at different rates, from quick absorption to complete absorption without the bulkiness! How it works is the SAP layers are Diamond Quilted in a pocketed structure, sandwiched between layers of polypropylene spunbond and then ultrasonically bonded together. This adds stability, excellent SAP absorbency management, thinness, dryness and does not feel like the wearer is wearing a wet sponge.
- 2016: Sustainable Health Enterprises, (SHE) – Go! Pads
Using patented technology developed by SHE to make an absorbent core from banana tree agricultural waste, Go!™ Pads maintain superior absorption without using any chemicals and super-absorbent polymers. SHE employs hundreds of local women through local sourcing of banana fibers and pad production while delivering an affordable product to girls, primarily in East Africa, who normally wouldn't be able to afford pads causing significant costs to their education, health, productivity, and dignity. This breakthrough process will be used to develop a range of essential health products that address overlooked and taboo health issues, according to SHE.
Hygienix is the result of INDA's acquisition of the annual INSIGHT International Conference from Marketing Technology Service, Inc., in May 2014 and the merger with INDA's VISION Consumer Products Conference. HYGIENIX represents the mix of Absorbent Hygiene and Personal Care, with the emphasis on Hygiene, the larger nonwoven component of the two segments and the biggest nonwovens market overall.
Visionary Award Winners
- 2015: Sienabena, LLC – BabyBackups™
A diaper extender, this product adheres to an existing diaper to act as an insurance policy against messy "diaper blowouts," the company says. Made of superabsorbent materials, the wedge-shaped pad fits securely between the waistband of a diaper and the baby's back to contain all messy diaper explosions in the baby's diaper.
- 2014: Butterfly Health, Inc .– Butterfly Body Liners
Butterfly Body liners are designed to provide secure protection from ABL – a problem that 20% of women over the age of 40 experience and more men are acknowledging. Butterfly Liners' patented, innovative design resembles four wings and fits comfortably and discreetly to the body.
- 2013: Dude Products – Dude Wipes
Dude Wipes is the product the adult moist tissue market has been waiting for. We've incorporated social packaging and humorous niche driven branding to change male hygiene routines and behavior. Finally, there is a wipe product for men that encourages conversion of a cool new grooming routine. Sometimes innovation requires mixing the latest technology with fresh, creative, and bold branding.
- 2012: Bissell – Stomp n' Go®Stain Lifting Pad
When tough stains occur, let STOMP 'N GO® stain lifting pads do the work for you. These stain lifting pads require no scrubbing of the stain! Simply place the STOMP 'N GO pad wet side down over soiled area for 30 minutes. The oxy formula in the pads permanently remove tough set in stains including red wine, food stains, fruit juice, pet messes, mud/dirt, coffee/tea, blood, plus more! Plus, it leaves carpet smelling fresh with Febreze™ Spring & Renewal™ scent. Each re-sealable pouch contains 5 pre-moistened pads.
- 2011: Global Safety First – Readi Mask,™
- 2010: Rockline Industries – Regenerated Cotton Wipe
- 2009: Ahlstrom – Disruptor™ nonwoven water filter media
- 2008: Kimberly-Clark – SpaSensials spa treatmen,
- 2007: Tyco – Swim Pants
- 2006: Chicopee – Disaster Relief Blanket
- 2005: Fiberweb – Resolution Print Media
- 2004: Church & Dwight – Brillo Scrub 'n' Toss
- 2003: FMJ ChemBio – Civilian Quick Escape Mask
- 2002: Procter & Gamble – Swiffer