Since 2004, INDA and EDANA have been collaboratively working with the Wastewater Industry across the United States and in Europe in the shared objective of reducing the amount of non-flushable material in the wastewater stream.
We developed the nonwovens industry’s first and only Guidelines for Assessing the Flushability of Nonwoven Disposable Products, which was launched in 2008. Now in its third edition, these Guidelines are being adopted by an ever increasing number of companies.
We believe educating consumers on the proper disposal method for our products is one of the most important things we can do to help ensure that only those products designed and marketed to be disposed of via the toilet are flushed. This is why we created the Code of Practice and “Do Not Flush” symbol which accompany the Flushability Guidelines.
The Code of Practice includes labeling guidelines on when and how to use the ‘Do Not Flush’ symbol. For products that have a high likelihood of being flushed, even if designed not to be flushed, the “Do Not Flush” symbol should appear on packaging as outlined in the Code of Practice.
We recognize that both our industry, the habits and practices of individuals, and the needs of wastewater operators changes over time, and therefore, the Flushability Guidelines is a living document. We gather feedback from all stakeholders and use it to review and update the Guidelines as needed. INDA and EDANA are committed to continuing to work collaboratively with wastewater practitioners around the world to help reduce the amount of non-flushable material in the wastewater stream. As an industry, we are also dedicated to the continuous improvement in product performance to meet the needs of the consumer and the wastewater industry alike.
- 3rd Edition Flushability Guidelines- Executive Summary
- 3rd Edition Flushability Guidelines- Complete
- Code of Practice (includes labeling guidelines)
- DO NOT FLUSH logo (.jpeg – See Code of Practice for labeling requirements)
- DO NOT FLUSH logo (high res .eps – See Code of Practice for labeling requirements )
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Test Methods (Test pricing – INDA Members: Free / Non-members: Single Test $49. All 7 Tests $299)
- FG501- Toilet and Drainline Clearance Test
- FG502- Slosh Box Disintegration Test
- FG503- Household Pump Test
- FG504- Settling Test
- FG505- Aerobic Biodisintegration/Biodegradation Tests
- FG506- Anaerobic Biodisintegration/Biodegradation Tests
- FG507- Municipal Sewage Pump Test
- Purchase all 7 test (includes FG501-FG507)
INDA Members, please contact Misty Ayers, Marketing Coordinator, email@example.com, to obtain your free copy of the Flushability Test Methods.